Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Rostraver 'gun god' is collector and seller
By Jeff Pikulsky
VALLEY INDEPENDENT

Wednesday, December 22, 2010


http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleyindependent/print_714908.html


Byron White has amassed a wealth of firearms knowledge.

And the 72-year-old Rostraver Township resident is always eager to share what he knows with those stopping in at his long-time business, The Gun Rack on Route 136.
"They call Byron the gun god," said his wife of 25 years and business partner, Barbara.
When White lost his job as a millwright after working at several Mid-Mon Valley steel mills, he decided to open a gun shop out of necessity.

"I just figured I've got to keep eating," he said.

Opened in 1985, the Gun Rack thrived, especially in the 1990s.

Although the number of customers since has fallen off along with the economy, there are still many who come to the shop in search of White's advice and competitive prices.
The Gun Rack is not all barrels and bullets, though.

One of White's display cases contains several of his World War II German military knives and Nazi-era items.

Nearby are two of his most rare and coveted pieces, a letter opener one of Hitler's SS units gave him as a gift and a round silver container lined with gold that Hitler received on his birthday in 1932 from August Wilhelm, the Prince of Prussia.

White said he used to scavenge local flea markets and military surplus stores looking for rare items.

"I collect World War II German daggers and swords," he said, adding that they are not for sale. "It's all genuine stuff. I've been collecting that stuff since I was a kid, when I was about 10 ... anything I could find."

There is a strong sense of camaraderie inside of The Gun Rack on a daily basis, Byron White said.

White suffered a series of strokes 10 years ago that paralyzed the left side of his body.

"I can't do the things I used to do. I used to go to gun shows and gun bashes and all that stuff," he said. "I enjoyed fooling around with the guns ... just minor things, mounting scopes and that kind of stuff."

White's wife and a devoted group of long-time friends/customers have pitched in to help White run the shop.

Friends and occasional customers like Buddy Ferris, of Fayette City, Ed "Smitty" Smith and Mark Smalich, both of West Newton, are regulars at The Gun Rack.

"(My husband) has such a wonderful group of friends that come every single day," Barbara White said. "Mark comes and makes the coffee. Smitty comes every day and brings in lunch. He will open and close our business. I work a steady night shift so they let me kind of sleep."

Byron White's stepson Mike Sorg, of Port Vue Borough, worked at the shop for about 17 years.

"I don't know if I could do what I do without so many of these people," Barbara White said.

The group of volunteers is what's left of what used to be a forum of friends who shared daily banter at the business.

"They would come every day at a certain time and have their coffee and their chew and their cigarette and go home," Barbara White said.

The shop mascot, "Handsome" Hogan, a 9-year-old long-haired dachshund, has also been a devoted supporter.

"He's here every day. If I don't bring him down, he jumps the fence, comes down here and barks at the front door," Byron White said.

Byron White said there have been many long-time customers at his shop.

Occasionally, some come in from out of state.

"People have known Byron 40 or 50 years as a collector," Barbara White said. "He has long-term memory like you can't believe."

Byron White has used his connections to help fellow collectors move items.

"Somebody will bring something in that is really a great item, and if I can't afford to buy it, I find somebody who will buy it," he said.

Although business has been slow lately, White is committed to staying at the helm.
"I'm just going to stay here as long as I can," he said.

The Gun Rack is open noon to 8 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays; noon to 6 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays.

It can be reached at (724) 872-7774.
Jeff Pikulsky can be reached at jpikulsky@tribweb.com or 724-684-2635.

Images and text copyright © 2010 by Trib Total Media, Inc.
Reproduction or reuse prohibited without written consent.

No comments:

Post a Comment